OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES /// SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
For the fourth consecutive year we are presenting Ecumenópolis*, the urban documentary film festival that makes up the audiovisual programme of the Catalan Architect’s Association (COAC). During this time we have screened over 40 very varied films regarding urban issues, establishing a space for collective reflexion and debate around both global and local urbanism and citizenship. This year we are opening a call for entries to broaden the scope and reach of our programme, consolidating a platform for the broadcasting and dissemination of audiovisual documentary work on architectural and city matters that will help inquire on who, what, and how are our cities built.
1. AIMS AND GOALS
2. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
3. REGISTRATION AND SUBMISSION OF WORKS
4. SELECTION CRITERIA
8. SCREENING AND PARTICIPATION
10. ACCEPTANCE OF FESTIVAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
* Ecumenópolis – Term invented in 1967 by the Greek city planner Constantinos Doxiadis to represent the idea that in the future urban areas and megalopolis would eventually fuse and there would be a single continuous worldwide city as a progression from the current urbanization and population growth trends. Source: Wikipedia.org
1. AIMS AND GOALS ///
The current call for entries is aimed at all those non-fiction audiovisual works produced anywhere in the world on any of the following topics: urban transformations, urban renewal, urban environment, urban sustainability, public space intervention, architecture and the city, urban dwelling, right to the city and citizen engagement, urban cartography, artistic expressions linked to the public space or the urban context, or any vital expression linked to the city experience, employing any language or medium linked to the moving image.
2. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS ///
The call is open to non-fiction productions between 30 and 90 minutes produced by any mean of audiovisual expression.
The presented works will have to be (if there is any dialogue) in original version in Spanish or Catalan language or be subtitled in any of these two languages if spoken in any other language.
No institutional, advertising, or corporate works will be admitted.
The person responsible for the work presented must own the screening rights of the work or be authorized by the owner. This person will be the only spokesperson with the organization of the festival.
There is no limit to the number of works presented by one person.
All works that do not comply to the requirements might be excluded.
3. REGISTRATION AND SUBMISSION OF WORKS ///
Registration is free and will become effective when the work is submitted.
Works will be submitted through one of the following ways:
Via post mail through a Region 2 or 0 DVD to ojoconico.org (Vía Laietana 12, 3º 1ª A, 08003 Barcelona, SPAIN)
Via web through links (public or private) to video viewing websites (vimeo, youtube, etc) sent to the following email addresses email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Do NOT send files with the whole work to this email addresses, only links to the aforementioned websites or to transmission and download sites (WeTransfer, etc).
Information regarding the person presenting the work (contact details: email and/or telephone) and the work itself (brief synopsis, credits, and date and place of previous screenings)
Mailing fees will be supported by the applicant. The organization will not be held responsible for the loss or any damage of the works during mailing.
The works submitted will not be returned. These will become part of the private archive of ojoconico.org. These can be loaned out, except if specifically prohibited, to other institutions for non-profit loan or exhibition, previous notification to the responsible of the work. The submission implies authorizing the use of the works for the festival’s promotion and advertisement needs.
The works selected for screening will have to provide a digital image and a link to a trailer via mail.
The works selected for screening will have to be submitted through post mail through a Region 2 or 0 DVD to ojoconico.org (Vía Laietana 12, 3º 1ª A, 08003 Barcelona, SPAIN)
4. SELECTION CRITERIA ///
The Jury will value the proactive character of the works. Its cinematographic quality. The clarity of the narration and the precision in the presentation of the theme. The visual and narrative agility. The citizen engagement and commitment of the work and it being unpublished, although the last one is not a compulsory requirement. The organization might include in the programme of Ecumenópolis 2014 works that have not been submitted through this call.
5. AWARDS ///
Monthly exhibition award. Each one of the works selected for the exhibition along the year will be awarded 100€.
At the end of the year, from the works that have been exhibited in the previous months, a special jury will award a first prize granted with 200€ (plus the 100€ awarded for the exhibition, totaling 300€) and a second prize granted with 100€ (plus the 100€ awarded for the exhibition, totaling 200€).
There will also be two special broadcasting prizes:
TV broadcasting prize for works up to 30 minutes.
The awarded work will be screened at Doc’S, Barcelona’s local television (Btv) documentary films program. The conditions and dates for the screening will be agreed on between the responsible of the work and the director of Doc’S. The organization might not award this prize if none of the works suit Doc’S content and quality criteria.
Festival broadcasting prize.
The awarded work will be screened at Architecture Film Festival Rotterdam, the world’s largest and oldest architecture film festival. The conditions and dates for the screening will be agreed on between the responsible of the work and the AFFR. The organization might not award this prize if none of the works suit AFFR’s content and quality criteria.
Economic prizes will be subjected to legal taxes and retentions.
6. JURY ///
The jury will award first and second prize from the works selected for exhibition. The works selected for exhibition will be chosen by the organization of the call for entries.
· Jordi Ambrós – Scriptwriter, director, executive producer and Commissioning Editor for Televisión de Cataluña / TV3. Since 2000 is head of documentary co-productions and director of ”El documental”, the weekly non-fiction program in canal 33 (Catalunya’s local channel).
· Jord Den Hollander - Architect, filmmaker and director of Architecture Film Festival Rotterdam, the largest and oldest architecture film festival in the world.
· José Gonzalez Morandi – Director and scriptwriter, has created award wining documentary films with urban themes such as ‘Can Tunis’ (City of Barcelona Film Award, Best Documentary film Documenta Madrid 07, Catalunya National Cinema Award 2008, among others) or the recently released ‘Buscando Respeto’.
· Andreu Meixide – Architect and filmmaker. Has produced documentary films such as ‘Marquesa’, ‘Los Zapatos del Otro’, and web-series such as ‘El Bloc dels pescadors’ for Barcelona’s city council. Co-director of Bccn festival and DocS.21 of Digital Narratives Festival.
· Giorgio Scianca – Architect specialized in architectural communication, head of archiworld.tv, a project for the spreading of filmed architecture through social networks with over 60,000 followers that has been awarded the ”Bruno Zevi” Prize for the dissemination of architectural culture.
· Martín Garber Salzberg –Architect and head of ojoconico.org. Responsible of Ecumenópolis since 2011.
7. DATES ///
The call for the current year will be open since its publishing until November 30, 2014. Works will be received and selected between those dates.
8. SCREENING AND PARTICIPATION ///
The selected works will be screened along the year 2014, participating of the Ecumenópolis programme, in the central seat of the Catalan Architect’s Association in Barcelona (pl. Nova 5, Barcelona) every fourth Monday of the month at 19.00 hrs. local time, except for the month of August and date changes.
The works awarded with the first and second prize will be announced during the last session of the year, on December 2014.
It is highly recommended that the authors of the work can participate physically or via video-conference of the debate following the screening.
In observance of article 5 of the 15/1999 Organic Law for the Protection of Personal Data, we inform that the personal data obtained through the registration process will be incorporated to the files of the organization, with the goal of managing the information for the public calls of the entities composing it, and the delivery of information related to proposals related with the specific theme of the Festival.
The owners of the data will be able to access to the information, being able to rectify, cancel or oppose in the terms established by the Spanish data protection laws, through written petition to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org attaching copy of an ID document and an e-mail address to which a reply to its petition must be sent.
10. ACCEPTANCE OF FESTIVAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS ///
Participating in this call implies accepting the totality of the terms and conditions by the candidates. The organization holds the right to modify the requirements, terms and conditions and if necessary, publish the new ones.
When submitting a work, the canditate declares the unconditional acceptance of the call’s procedure, and complies to what is stipulated on the terms and conditions and submission requirements document. In any case of divergence or lack of specification of theses, the decission adopted will belong to the organization, and its decision will be unappealable.